Monday, August 20, 2012

I Am that I Am


“God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM.  This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"  (Exodus 3:14)
When Moses stood before God at the Burning Bush inquiring about His name, God understood how important it was that Moses was able to reveal to the Israelites this important piece of information.
In response, God told Moses Ehye Asher Ehye’ (אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה ) or simply ‘Ehye’ ( אֶהְיֶה ).
In most English Bibles this name is translated as “I Am Who I Am” or simply “I Am(Exodus 3:14)” 
As in all the names that God uses to reveal Himself, this key name of God tells us some essential information about who He is.
The Hebrew alphabet gives a clue to the meaning behind this name.  
The fact that it begins with Aleph (אֶ), the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet, is indicative of the future tense.  Therefore this name can be translated ‘I Will Be Who I Will Be.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment